Instagram

10.27.2007

Love's Labour's Lost

I think people are forgetting how to love. Sometimes it feels like the only worth I have to people, even those I consider my good friends, is based on my achievements, accomplishments, and academic or monetary potential. This is what I like to call "friendship credentials". What's worse is I find myself qualifying my friends (or potential friends) the same way. It's an easy way to evaluate whether someone can be beneficial to you as a friend. As if people were assets, or objects, or possessions. How dehumanizing! That's not love! Friends aren't positions that can just be replaced like a burnt-out lightbulb! People are people for heaven's sake! Love is more than actions. It's more than words, however cliché that is. It's a spiritual unity, however silly that sounds. Whatever is spiritual is eternal!

We live in a compatibility focused world. People have to be "compatible" with us to deserve our time and attention, I guess. Nobody thinks about what they need to do to be compatible themselves. Whatever it takes to escape personal responsibility. If I don't get along with someone, it's obviously their fault. Right? We are commanded to love everyone. I don't think that means that we're commanded to just distantly be fond of humans. Jesus Christ doesn't love me because I happen to fall under the same genus. He also doesn't love me based on my credentials (thank goodness). There's something more. What is it that he knows about me that lets him love me perfectly? Well that's just it: He doesn't just "know about" me, he knows me! With a little bit of thought about who we really are, it's easy to understand that we are something more than we give ourselves credit for. Are we able to see that in each other. Wouldn't that be the ultimate compatibility? Who isn't compatible with someone who feels personally responsible and motivated to really know you enough to really love you regardless of your credentials? I sure hope I am. Is there anyone who doesn't deserve that from me? can I be compatible with anyone? Anyone who has that same motivation, at least. In that case, any other deterrent can't be anything but superficial. I want to be the type of person who can be a friend with anyone, not just a replaceable friend, not a place holder.

4 comments:

  1. I'm commenting, mostly because i really like and agree with what you wrote. Its hard to comment on your blog alex because you are so thorough and complete with your thoughts that it leaves little room to say anything else... and all thats left to say is, wow that was 'on-point, or point-on'
    And hey, guess what alex hale, you are my friend because i see just s little bit of what makes you a you. And even if you didn't dance well, weren't extremely intelligent, and weren't as funny as you think; you are still love to me. awwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i also didnt realize till about 20 seconds ago, that when i make a comment, it goes up for the internet world to see. CRUD, you have thwarted me again GOOGLE!!!
    -sincerely gerdie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great point in this blog entry, Alex: "How dehumanizing!" I agree. When we look at people for what they can do for us, we are seeing them as objects, not as people. In every interaction we have with people, with every thought we think about others, we are either seeing them as objects or as people. A lot of time we (which includes myself) objectify people without consciously realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/11/07 19:25

    A sincere, loving focus on anyone will result in the discovery of the Savior's reflected light. "Look unto Me in Every thought.." happens when we see Christ in others.

    ReplyDelete