Instagram

11.13.2007

Drawing toward victory! (DTH follow-up)

*Note: in order to understand this post, please read "Drawing toward humiliation" first.
I got my Philosophy exam back, and to my great surprise and wonderment I got a 23/25! Not only that, but the professor mentioned that the average on the exam was a 19 and that the highest score was a 23! I'm pretty sure someone else shares that high score, but of all the other exams I saw, the highest was 21. Out of 6 points possible on the universe question (prompt #4) that I sketched, I got a 5 because I didn't a explain the effects of 2 of Aristotle's 4 causes even though they were accurately represented. The average score for #4 was 3.5/6.

So there you have it! As I sat there with my graded exam, the embarrassment of having done it incorrectly transformed to guilt. I had spent so much less time than everyone else on prompt #4 and received a better grade than the students seated near me who had written pages explaining the effects of aether on the superlunar universe. I didn't want anyone to see my grade. I hid it in my backpack and tried to participate in some of the conversations of disappointment with my classmates.

I wonder how I can apply that to my life. I obviously presented something that was exceptional, as far as proof of understanding, but I shied away from the norm in format. I wish I could say that I did it on purpose, but the lack of instruction forced me to be unique. I don't know if the professor gave further instruction that I missed, or if my assumption that I had missed it is the cause, but my conclusion is thus: It doesn't matter how other people do things; trust yourself and be confident in doing things the best way you can. Of course, it's not very wise to blind yourself in order to be forced into uniqueness. You stand much taller on other people's shoulders; to do anything well, you must be exposed to good examples (books, art, music, lives, etc.). You need to take chances and give them your best shot.

My brother wants to start a grilled pizza restaurant. At first I was skeptical, but I went to his grilled pizza party the other day, and it knocked my socks off! We all made our own with the provided ingredients. I made one with a cheese sauce, guacamole, steak, and mushrooms. It was so good that in the process of eating it, I chomped a chunk out of my cheek (it hurt like crazy, and my cheek is still a little swollen, but it made the steak taste a little more rare... which was nice). I guess the point is: he knows what he wants and he's good at it. Who am I to think that just because it's a little risky and different that it's not a good idea? You miss every shot you don't take. Maybe we just need to get used to the feeling of missing the shots we actually do take.

5 comments:

  1. So do you make all of those stick guy illustrations? Or are they already there and you just search for one that's appropriate?

    To expand upon your idea about missing all the shots you don't take, I've come to realize that our own ideas of our limitations are what really limit us. We are capable of doing many things, but fear and doubt keep those capabilities dormant, because we don't even try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should start a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's just the english degree that is forcing my shots though...
    I like how well those two situations work together, your teacher was probably relieved to see a response that wasn't pages and pages of misunderstood crap, and that is probably one of the things that made your's the winner, and the restaurant idea is coming from the same place- how am I supposed to earn a living with an english degree? english degrees don't make money, pizza makes money (and that's what is important, right?). If only we had the courage to take the shots when our hands weren't forced, I'll bet we could come up with some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your last sentence...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your last sentence...

    ReplyDelete