Instagram

11.28.2007

Life is long and the world is huge

I've been learning the guitar. it's a very slow process, but I can tell I'm getting somewhere... sort of. My wonderfully soft model hands, though awesome, can't seem to do what my brain wants them to. Not only that, but the tips of the fingers on my left hand have become numb and calloused. All I want is to be way good right now and still keep my precious hands supple.

The reason some people are so good at the guitar is because they spend hours every day for years learning and practicing. I guess if it was something you could learn perfectly in a week, we wouldn't know any good guitar players because everyone would play at the same skill level. I haven't been fascinated with anyone's walking ability lately. Even though it's a pretty complicated task when you think about the balance and weight distribution involved, everyone does it to just about the same skill level. For the record, I do consider myself an exceptional walker. Now I listen to music more intently, paying attention to the skill required to play it (let alone write it) and I enjoy it more. Every day since I've been practicing, I hear a new song that I decide I have to learn to play. There are so many good musicians! I feel so small and insignificant compared to them, and those are only the ones I know about. There is so much out there that is bigger than me. it's kind of an exciting feeling. It's not a small world, no matter what Disney says. There's so much out there! So much to learn! It's a little overwhelming, but I've got plenty of time to learn how to play better, and the skill I acquire will be equal to the sacrifice I put into it. To play as well as I want to be able to might just cost a little more than the texture of my fingertips.

4 comments:

  1. Supple hands! You're too much!
    You are sounding really good already, and I'm sure you'll be great in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a good title you should make it into a song.

    Can i make a request?
    -if your answer is yes than i want a blog about art. I was discussing art with Dr. Lawler and we were trying to pin down what makes someones creative fling Art. You have told me your ppinions before, but I don't remember it all

    -if answer is no, you are jerk-face

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true--guitar does make you have callouses on your fingertips. It's kinda gross, but at the same time, doesn't it make you feel hard core?

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck with callousy fingers. ps seeing my name on your links as "meli" made me giggle and think of how fun life was 7 years ago. miss ya.

    ReplyDelete